One of the many enquires we often receive through the casework mailbox is relating to access to records from government and criminal justice departments.
We have provided a draft template below which you can modify and use for your personal use when requesting copies of records held by an organisation.
We hope you find this template useful and it would be great to hear your feedback, if any and whether the template has helped you to gain access to your records.
Name and Address
- DATA SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION AND DATA PROTECTION ACT 2018 -
Dear Sir or Madam
I am writing to make a data subject access request pursuant to Article 15 of the General Data Protection Regulation and Section 45 of the Data Protection Act 2018.
I understand that you hold and process data about me.
SCOPE OF MY REQUEST
This is a general request that relates to any personal or sensitive data processed by or on behalf of NAME OF ORGANISATION. To help you comply with this request, you should know that it is likely that personal and sensitive data is held relating to the following matters:
Set Out Matters
Although NAME OF ORGANISATION processes a wide range of personal and sensitive data about me, this request is confined to data concerning:
The decision to SUBJECT MATTER
Allegations about SUBJECT MATTER
LOCATING THE PERSONAL DATA
I envisage that several individuals may process personal and sensitive data in connection with the above. Some of the data processed will be held in the form of sent and received emails and word-processed documents. Presumably, these can be identified through the use of search tools.
VARIENT EXPRESSIONS OF OUR CLIENTS NAME
My full name is spelled
INFORMATION TO SUPPLY
Once you have identified personal and sensitive data within the scope of this request, please provide a copy of the information constituting personal and sensitive data and also:
- Provide a description of the data and the categories of personal and sensitive data concerned;
- Explain the purposes for which the data is processed;
- Identify the source or sources of the data;
- Set out to whom the data has been disclosed or may be disclosed, in particular recipients within government departments, third countries or international organisations;
- Set out, where possible, the envisaged period for which the data will be stored, or, if not possible, the criteria used to determine that period;
- State whether there has been any automated decision-making using the data, including profiling, and if so, any meaningful information about how it was based, as well as the significance and the envisaged consequences for me of such processing.
CONFIRMATION OF IDENTITY
Although, I assume you are aware who I am, to avoid any doubt or delay I enclose a copy of my identity documents to confirm my identity
I look forward to hearing from you in relation to the above within one month of receipt.